Wagstaffe Society website: http://www.wagstaffsociety.org/banburyshire.html
"..............The Warwickshire family originated in and around the village of Harbury, (Herberbury) and the town of Southam circa 1500. In Harbury they were the landed Gentry owning the ancient manor and setting up The Wagstaffe School near the church, which took its first scholars in 1611. The school is still there but is now a house............"
Harbury CE Primary School website: http://www.harbury.warwickshire.sch.uk/
"1610 “Thomas The Wagstaffe in the year 1610, purchased a plot of ground on the north side of the churchyard of Harbury, whereon he erected a school, placed therein a master, and allowed him 20 pounds a year, and kept the building in repair, but died without endowing it” (taken from records of the Knightlow Hundred). Thus the Wagstaffe School was started.
1856 Older pupils of the village went to the Wight School (named after Rev. W Wight, who was instrumental in starting fund raising for the building). This was first a Church of England Aided School. It was quite unusual for a village to have two separate schools, especially when one realises that before the late 1960’s Harbury was considerably smaller than it is now.
1953 The Aided school was taken over by the county.
1962 The Wagstaffe School had 60 children on roll aged 7 to 11
1967 The Wagstaffe School was an Infant School only. In that year approximately 110 pupils were transferred into the first stage of the present buildings. The school then consisted of three classes."
British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... mpid=57106
"Adjoining the churchyard on the north side there is the school, founded by Thomas Wagstaffe in 1611, with a panel inscribed:
Estab. by Decree in Chancery
(Butler versus Wagstaffe)
Confirmed by order of ye same court
(Attorn: Gen. versus Baber)
Restored a.d. 1866.
It is L-shaped, built of squared and coursed limestone with dressings of brown sandstone, and has a continuous plinth of one splay. The west wing is of two stories, probably to accommodate a resident schoolmaster, and the east, which has no upper floor, forms one large schoolroom. The northern half of the west wing is occupied by a classroom, and the front portion by an open lobby and a small office. The upper floor has been divided up and is used for storage, but the room over the classroom has an original stone chimney-piece. The entrance doorway has a chamfered four-centred head, but its original oak door, of small square moulded panels, has been removed and is now (1949) lying in the vicarage stables. The schoolroom has a fire-place in the centre of the north wall, with four-light windows on either side, a five-light transomed window on the east, and two of five lights on the south. At the west end there is a contemporary glazed oak screen with moulded panels, and above it a gallery front of heavy turned balusters with a moulded capping, now boarded over at the back. It has two doors, one original leading to the lobby and a later inserted door into the classroom. The classroom has a stone chimney-piece in the north wall with a chamfered four-centred head, a fourlight window which has had its sill lowered, and on the west a five-light window. The small room in the front is lighted by a four-light window on the south and has an inserted fire-place on the west. There is a gable to the east wing and gables to the north and south ends of the west wing with ball finials, and on the south, at first-floor level, is the inscribed tablet in a moulded frame, flanked by three-light windows, and on the ground floor is the entrance archway with a fourcentred head within a square moulding, and a fourlight window to the office. The windows throughout are square-headed, of one splay, with label mouldings having return ends. The roofs have been re-tiled and the chimneys rebuilt in brick.
From: 'Parishes: Harbury', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6: Knightlow hundred (1951), pp. 103-108. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... mpid=57106
. Date accessed: 10 July 2008."
Shakespeare Country: http://www.shakespeare-country.co.uk/at ... ue=2750792
Ghost: "Another black coated figure is said to have been seen on various occasions rushing between the old Wagstffe School and the Church."
"A school was founded in the village by Jane Wagstaff in the reign of Elizabeth I. Jane is buried in the church. Her descendants founded a village school and its Tudor building remains."