online poker SuperSignupBonus

chesterton windmill

Introduce yourself to this online community here.

chesterton windmill

Postby roseho » Tue 10 Apr 2012 10:58 am

The article about the restoration of the mill states that the new roof was covered with aluminium. I worked on the mill, and actualy built the new roof. The material used to cover the roof was zinc, not aluminium. I have photos of the roof being constructed, and would be pleased to talk to anyone interested in the mill. Keith Marchant

roseho

Re: chesterton windmill

Postby suzwill » Thu 14 Feb 2013 6:54 pm

Hello Keith Marchant, I came across a reference to your post on Google and I'm interested to know about the roofing material of Chesterton windmill. I'm trying to find out about it because I'm working with English Heritage on a book about roofing conservation and I'm trying to understand what roofing material was used and when. As I understand it the original building of 1632 was roofed in lead and there's a note in Warwickshire Archives that the lead was thought to look very old in 1966 when it was replaced. There was a major restoration in 1966-1971 (and this is when is was refurbished in zinc (not aluminium as stated on the WCC website?)- not sure why there was a change of material at this point - cost? Was this the period that you worked on this? Then there was some recent work in 2010 and the current roofing is still zinc, confirmed by Andy Jones, Warwickshire CC project officer in a telephone call to me.

I'd be really grateful if you could confirm that it was indeed zinc after the 1966-1971 work,

Suzanne Williams
suzwill

Re: chesterton windmill

Postby Bruce Everiss » Fri 3 Jan 2014 6:22 pm

bump
Bruce Everiss

Return to Welcome